University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Other Buildings and Locations category

According to University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008, when the amphitheater was “Completed in 1923, it was built into a natural slope in a grove of trees just below the main campus and could initially accommodate approximately eight hundred people, a capacity that was doubled some years later.” 1  Dedicated on May 11, 1923, “the amphitheater was an impressive venue” 2 that served as the site for many campus events, such as senior plays, May Day performances, and commencement; however, as the campus expanded, the amphitheater was used less frequently. 3

The University of Mary Washington announced in March 2014 that Robert S. and Alice Andrews Jepson ’64 donated a $1 million challenge gift towards the restoration of the amphitheater.  Though a timeline for the project has not yet been released, sources say that “the restoration would return the amphitheater to its 1952-1953 appearance by repairing and reconstructing damaged and missing pieces. It would provide seating for approximately 600 people on weather-resilient benches and chairs while incorporating accommodations for ADA accessibility.” 4

Amphitheater Now

Amphitheater, 2014
Carly Winfield, "Amphitheater," March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Carly Winfield, University of Mary Washington.

new amphitheater rendering

Amphitheater, future
Train & Partners Architects, Future Rendering of UMW Amphitheather, http://www.umw.edu/news/2014/03/01/jepsons-give-1-million-to-restore-umw-amphitheater/.

Show 4 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 22.
  2. Ibid., 23.
  3. Ibid., 23.
  4. Brynn Boyer, “Jepsons Give $1 Million to Restore UMW Amphitheater,” Media and Public Relations, University of Mary Washington, posted on March 1, 2014, http://www.umw.edu/news/2014/03/01/jepsons-give-1-million-to-restore-umw-amphitheater/ (Accessed April 6, 2014).

The Bell Tower was built in 2007 from the donations of John Chappell, a friend of President William M. Anderson. Also known as the Carmen Culpeper Chappell Centennial Campanile, the tower is the tallest structure on campus, measuring 88 feet tall. The money was donated in the memory of his wife Carmen Culpeper, who was a graduate of Mary Washington. 1 A small garden is located at the base of the tower with a garden and fountain dedicated to her class, the class of 1959.2 The tower was a symbolic and sentimental project as it was constructed in the last year of President Anderson’s career at UMW. As part of the graduation procession, the class of ’07 walked out through the arches of the Bell Tower. Before the beginning of the following fall semester, the incoming freshman class walked through the arches of the structure, symbolizing new beginnings.3

3sDrCnx5sH2mGHycZfOdEeuWUYy08k_K_n34w9ivAU_EzOikYJUqdnxkmg3J-STS_Q=w1165-h456

Bell Tower, 2014
Jessica Reingold, Bell Tower, February 19,2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 778-779.
  2. Ibid., 812.
  3. Ibid., 812-813.

As noted in University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008,  “in 1944 the College had purchased for $50,000 a brick residence located diagonally across from George Washington Hall.”1 The house was named Brent Hall in honor of Margaret Brent, an Englishwoman who came to America in 1638. 2 Margaret Brent eventually acquired “the site of what would become Fredericksburg.”3 From 1944 to 1947, Brent House served as the President’s home. After that it was the French language house residence hall, and then was “converted to administrative office space.”4

Today Brent House is where Emergency Management and Safety and the University Police are located.

Brent House, February 19, 2014

Brent House, February 19, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "Brent House," February 19, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Show 4 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 56.
  2. Ibid.
  3. Ibid.
  4. Ibid.

Campus Walk is a central brick walkway which runs almost the entire length of campus, starting at the Bell Tower and Double Drive in the south and ending at Goolrick Hall on the north end of campus. It passes in front of most major buildings at UMW, including George Washington, Trinkle, Lee, Monroe, and Jepson. Most residence halls are only a short distance off of Campus Walk, if not directly on it. The bricked walkway merges into Palmeri Plaza in front of Monroe and then continues down in front of the Woodard Campus Center. This covered walkway lasts until just before Simpson Library. Campus Walk continues in front of Simpson and, once construction is complete, will run through the Convergence Center and out towards Jepson. Much of what is now campus walk was originally an asphalt road, Campus Drive, which ran from College Avenue to Monroe and then back down the hill towards Sunken Road. Remnants of this road remain in what is now Double Drive on the one end, and the Sunken Road access which comes to a circle between Lee Hall and Monroe Hall. Work began in 1986, when Campus Drive was closed to through traffic and covered with the bricks it has today.1

Campus Walk Now - 2014 Resized

Students of Campus Walk, 2014
Conner Allen, "Students on Campus Walk," March 21 2014, The Personal Collection of Conner Allen, University of Mary Washington.

 

Show 1 footnote

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 368-70.

Chandler Hall was first opened for the fall 1928 school session. At that time it functioned as a mock high school used to train prospective teachers enrolled in the State Normal School. The building was originally called the Campus Training School or College Heights High. The school was discontinued in 1928 and was renamed after President Chandler, who spent years of tireless effort in support of the construction of this building.1

Chandler Hall was demolished in 2013 in order to make way for the new University Center, or Campus Center. This structure is being built in order to meet the evolving needs of students and to improve the dining facilities on campus. It will include a “campus living room,” ballroom, offices spaces for student organizations, the Multicultural Center, Center for Honor, Leadership and Service, Vice President for Student Affairs, many small and large meeting rooms, and a large dining room with ample seating. Construction is expected to be completed in time for the fall 2015 semester.2

University Center Construction, 2014

University Center Construction, 2014
Alexandria Parrish, "University Center Construction," March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish, University of Mary Washington.

University Center Rendering

University Center Rendering
Image is courtesy of Hanbury, Evans, Wright, and Vlattas.

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 25.
  2. University of Mary Washington, “University Center,” University of Mary Washington, www.umw.edu/campuscenter/ (Accessed April 15, 2014).

The Framar pool was a part of the original purchase of Framar house from Dr. and Mrs. Frank Reichel in 1946. Adjacent to the pool was a picnic area where students could grill and eat outside. The pool was a popular hangout for students and was a great place to tan on summer days. 1  Today, the area is home to an outdoor basketball court. The picnic area still stands but is not as popular as it was in the past and is no longer home to grilling or summer activities.

p4TKFWM6Zbe8YQXhkhjKX9WdGtDYVgi_2DCsaq4vU948ZWT8N0kShMOtTNfVN--bQQ=w1165-h460

Framar pool, March 21, 2014
Meaghan Sullivan, "Basketball Court," March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Meaghan Sullivan, University of Mary Washington.

Show 1 footnote

  1. Wiliam B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 56.

Construction on George Washington Hall (also known as GW Hall) began in 1938 and was completed the following year.1 The building was established to answer the need for classrooms and administrative space necessary to serve the growing student population. The building also contained an auditorium capable of seating 1,624 people and included a stage with dressing rooms located below. 2 In 1980, the auditorium was named Eileen Kramer Dodd Auditorium in honor of a former professor who retired after forty four years at the College.3 Located below the auditorium was a mirrored ballroom known as the “Hall of Mirrors” used for events and formal dances. The roof of George Washington Hall contained a roof garden used for special events but also as a recreational area for students to relax and eat. Today, GW is the home of administrative offices, including the office of the president. Neither the roof garden nor the Hall of Mirrors are present today, however, Dodd Auditorium is still a central part of student life. The auditorium holds formal events, performance art shows, and “Cheap Seats” a program that shows popular movies for students for only a dollar admission.

4lgLqKjH9j1UZtba2lkcpt0WVt_G5MNIvdNf1U2a7p78s94ZPQL754UlajtJjK_8TQ=w1165-h460

George Washington Hall, 2014
Meaghan Sullivan, "George Washington Hall," March 21, 2014, Personal collection of Meaghan Sullivan, University of Mary Washington

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008),43
  2. Ibid.
  3. Ibid.,44.

Trench Hill was acquired by the College in 1947. The College remodeled it and designated it for academically talented students and later for the College’s first male students.1 Eventually it became the headquarters of the Alumni Association. In 2004, it was converted to an renamed “Kalnen Inn at Trench Hill, after the alumna benefactor Elizabeth Kalnen ’37.”2

The Jepson Alumni Executive Center is 24,000-square-feet was created by incorporating an addition to Trench Hill “to create a U-shaped, tri-unit structure.”3 The gates to the Jepson Alumni Executive Center are refurbished gates from 1900 France that were commissioned by Henry Phipps, who was a business partner of Andrew Carnegie.4

Today, the Kalnen Inn and the Jepson Executive Alumni continue as a bed-and-breakfast and as a venue available for events.

Jepson Alumni Center (formally Kalnen Inn and Trench Hill), September 22, 2013

Kalnen Inn, September 22, 2013
Jessica Reingold, "Kalnen Inn," September 22, 2013, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Jepson Alumni Center, September 22, 2013

Jepson Alumni Executive Center, September 22, 2013
Jessica Reingold, "Jepson Alumni Executive Center," September 22, 2013, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.


Fountain at the Jepson Alumni Center, September 22, 2013

Fountain at the Jepson Alumni Executive Center, September 22, 2013
Jessica Reingold, "Fountain at the Jepson Executive Alumni Center," September 22, 2013, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Show 4 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 57.
  2. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 547.
  3. Ibid.
  4. Ibid.

Lee Hall opened in 1951 during the construction boom of President Simpson, and was named after Anne Hill Carter Lee, mother of Robert E. Lee. 1 Though most simply refer to the building as Lee Hall today, it held the name of Anne Carter Lee Hall, or just ACL,  for many years. It was constructed as mainly an administrative building, but also contained a ballroom and a pool, the latter of which was converted into a cafe during the 1970s.2 The terrace of Lee Hall was traditionally the site of the formal Junior Ring Dance and other celebrations. 3 In 2007, Lee Hall underwent major renovations, completely closing until 2009 when it reopened with the popular addition of a newly refurbished cafe, The Underground.  It is currently home to the Campus Bookstore, Student Services Center, administrative offices, Office of Admissions, the James Farmer Multicultural Center, Career Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the university’s Health Center.

 

Lee Hall, 2014

Lee Hall, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "Lee," February 23, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 57.
  2. Ibid., 215.
  3. Ibid., 887.

Originally named Ridge Crest, Marye House was constructed in the 1910s as the President’s residence, but over the years its purpose has varied.  It has been used as a student residence hall, the Spanish house1, and is used today as the Office of Residence Life and Commuter Student Services, Judicial Affairs and Community Responsibility, and the Dean of Student Life.

Marye House Now

Marye House, 2014
Carly Winfield, "Marye House," March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Carly Winfield, University of Mary Washington.

Show 1 footnote

  1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 11.
css.php