University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Woodard Campus Center was opened in 1987, named in honor of Prince Briggs Woodard, President of the University from 1974 to 1982. Woodard sits in the depression “roughly between Willard and Melchers,” which was a difficult site for construction. However, it provided the opportunity to expand Campus Walk and link the main body of the school with Goolrick Hall and the northern end of campus. The upper floor features the Great Hall, an open space used for special events which featured mobile partitions to create temporary meeting spaces.1 Woodard is currently home to the Eagle’s Nest dining facilities, the University Post Office, and UMW’s radio station. The Great Hall and UMW Commuters’ Lounge are now inaccessible as much of the building is now under renovation. When construction is complete, Woodard will housed the College of Business.2

Woodard Campus Center, 2014

Woodard, 2014
Alexandria Parrish, “Woodard,” February 19 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish. University of Mary Washington.

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 370-72.
  2. Lindley Estes, “More construction begins at University of Mary Washington,” (Fredericksburg, VA.) Free Lance-Star, March 22, 2014, http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/03/22/more-construction-begins-on-campus/(Accessed April 28, 2014).

css.php