University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the other locations category

Campus Walk is a central brick walkway which runs almost the entire length of campus, starting at the Bell Tower and Double Drive in the south and ending at Goolrick Hall on the north end of campus. It passes in front of most major buildings at UMW, including George Washington, Trinkle, Lee, Monroe, and Jepson. Most residence halls are only a short distance off of Campus Walk, if not directly on it. The bricked walkway merges into Palmeri Plaza in front of Monroe and then continues down in front of the Woodard Campus Center. This covered walkway lasts until just before Simpson Library. Campus Walk continues in front of Simpson and, once construction is complete, will run through the Convergence Center and out towards Jepson. Much of what is now campus walk was originally an asphalt road, Campus Drive, which ran from College Avenue to Monroe and then back down the hill towards Sunken Road. Remnants of this road remain in what is now Double Drive on the one end, and the Sunken Road access which comes to a circle between Lee Hall and Monroe Hall. Work began in 1986, when Campus Drive was closed to through traffic and covered with the bricks it has today.1

Campus Walk Now - 2014 Resized

Students of Campus Walk, 2014
Conner Allen, "Students on Campus Walk," March 21 2014, The Personal Collection of Conner Allen, University of Mary Washington.


Show 1 footnote

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 368-70.

Woodard Campus Center was opened in 1987, named in honor of Prince Briggs Woodard, President of the University from 1974 to 1982. Woodard sits in the depression “roughly between Willard and Melchers,” which was a difficult site for construction. However, it provided the opportunity to expand Campus Walk and link the main body of the school with Goolrick Hall and the northern end of campus. The upper floor features the Great Hall, an open space used for special events which featured mobile partitions to create temporary meeting spaces.1 Woodard is currently home to the Eagle’s Nest dining facilities, the University Post Office, and UMW’s radio station. The Great Hall and UMW Commuters’ Lounge are now inaccessible as much of the building is now under renovation. When construction is complete, Woodard will housed the College of Business.2

Woodard Campus Center, 2014

Woodard, 2014
Alexandria Parrish, “Woodard,” February 19 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish. University of Mary Washington.

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 370-72.
  2. Lindley Estes, “More construction begins at University of Mary Washington,” (Fredericksburg, VA.) Free Lance-Star, March 22, 2014, April 28, 2014).