University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the men category

According to University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908–2008, “Among the new campus activities that appeared during the 1970s, the most extraordinary (and inexplicable) was something called the Wo-Man Contest.  The event was conceived in the fall of 1977 by the Afro-American Association, whose only male member, freshman Cedric Rucker, took the lead in the contest’s development and promotion.” 1  The event was immediately popular, and the popularity of the Wo-Man contest continued into the early 1990s, but was eventually phased out; however, in October 1999, the Mr. MWC contest appeared.  “Though Mr. MWC obviously shared certain farcical elements with the late Wo-Man contest, according to the Free Lance-Star it was ‘nothing like the controversial’ predecessor. ‘The new, feel-good Mr. MWC contest,’ it asserted, ‘is far kinder and gentler than Wo-Man.” 2

Today, the Mr. MWC tradition continues, simply under a different name: Mr. UMW.

Mr UMW

Mr. UMW Contest, 2013
Contestants include: Mr. Alvey: Tyler Gimple; Mr. Apartments: Rob Jarvis; Mr. Arrington: John Rowley; Mr. Bushnell: Frank Kear; Mr. Custis: Drew Kalasky; Mr. Eagle Landing: Ethan Lane; Mr. Framar: Sam Relken; Mr. Jefferson: Brandon Smith; Mr. Mason: Kyle Phalen; Mr. Marshall: Nathan Bradley; Mr. Randolph: Ben Cunningham; Mr. Russell: Josh Mwandu
Alyssa Lieurance, "Mr. UMW," November 4, 2013, Personal Collection of Alyssa Lieurance, University of Mary Washington.

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 252.
  2. Ibid., 721.

South Hall is a small co-ed first-year residence building located on the south end of campus behind Jefferson Hall and alongside Framar House. It houses 32 students and was completed in August of 1988. 1. In the late 1990s, the dormitory was the unofficial home to the Psi Upsilon fraternity brothers and in 2006, was one of the only four air-conditioned buildings on campus. 2

FhaAxd-bdfka_Wrso9djnSRAxT_WF-m5ttS4nwb8HY4

South Hall, 1980-1989
"South Hall," 1980-1989, UMW Archives, University of Mary Washington

RLdTuMJPdHkTtOYUl3obFCBKOLtlqmOlp034dLwg5UR4mj8YuovZu_UKKFJSqTS2Fw=w1165-h456

South Hall, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "South Hall," February 19,2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008),375
  2. Ibid., 683.
css.php