University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the geography category

Then Photograph

Colony Studios, “ Monroe Hall through the trees,” n.d., The Centennial Collection, UMW Digital Archives, University of Mary Washington.

Now Photograph

Alexandria Parrish, “Monroe,” February 26, 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish, University of Mary Washington.

Photograph editing by Conner Allen

Monroe Hall was founded in 1911.  It was one of three original buildings built for the State Normal and Industrial School for Women, the first incarnation of the University of Mary Washington. The building currently functions as an academic building, and houses the History, Geography, Political Science and International Affiars, Sociology, and Anthropology Departments.  Notably, murals by retired faculty member Emil Schnellock adorn the building’s walls on the second floor. 1  Monroe has been renovated multiple times, and was most recently reopened for the 2011-2012 academic year. 2

Directly in front of Monroe today lies what students commonly refer to as the “Monroe Fountain.” The brick area around the fountain which connects Monroe Hall with Virginia Hall and Willard Hall was named Palmieri Plaza in honor of Richard Palmeri. Richard was a greatly esteemed Geography professor at the school who succumbed to cancer in 1997.3 The area is a central part of campus and is one of the most traveled places at the university.

 

Monroe, 2014

Monroe, 2014
Alexandria Parrish, "Monroe," February 26, 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish, University of Mary Washington.

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 44.
  2. Ibid., 216.
  3. Ibid., 604-606.
css.php