University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Framar Pool category

Then Photograph

“Framar Pool,” 1965, The Centennial Collection, UMW Archives, University of Mary Washington.

Now Photograph

Meaghan Sullivan, “Basketball Court,” March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Meaghan Sullivan, University of Mary Washington.

Photograph editing by Jessica Reingold 

The Framar pool was a part of the original purchase of Framar house from Dr. and Mrs. Frank Reichel in 1946. Adjacent to the pool was a picnic area where students could grill and eat outside. The pool was a popular hangout for students and was a great place to tan on summer days. 1  Today, the area is home to an outdoor basketball court. The picnic area still stands but is not as popular as it was in the past and is no longer home to grilling or summer activities.

p4TKFWM6Zbe8YQXhkhjKX9WdGtDYVgi_2DCsaq4vU948ZWT8N0kShMOtTNfVN--bQQ=w1165-h460

Framar pool, March 21, 2014
Meaghan Sullivan, "Basketball Court," March 21, 2014, Personal Collection of Meaghan Sullivan, University of Mary Washington.

Show 1 footnote

  1. Wiliam B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 56.
css.php