University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Custis Hall category

Completed in 1935 as part of a tri-unit dorm facility along with Ball and Madison Halls, Custis Hall was named after Mary Anne Randolf Custis Lee, the wife of general Robert E. Lee.1 Today it houses 42 upperclass men and women. 2

Custis Hall

Custis Hall 1966
"Custis Hall," July 21, 1966, UMW Digital Archives, University of Mary Washington.

Custis Now

Custis Hall 2014
Alexandria Parrish, "Custis Hall," February 19, 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish, University of Mary Washington.


Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 33.
  2. University of Mary Washington Residence Life, “Custis Hall,” University of Mary Washington, April 15, 2014).