University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Career Service category

Lee Hall opened in 1951 during the construction boom of President Simpson, and was named after Anne Hill Carter Lee, mother of Robert E. Lee. 1 Though most simply refer to the building as Lee Hall today, it held the name of Anne Carter Lee Hall, or just ACL,  for many years. It was constructed as mainly an administrative building, but also contained a ballroom and a pool, the latter of which was converted into a cafe during the 1970s.2 The terrace of Lee Hall was traditionally the site of the formal Junior Ring Dance and other celebrations. 3 In 2007, Lee Hall underwent major renovations, completely closing until 2009 when it reopened with the popular addition of a newly refurbished cafe, The Underground.  It is currently home to the Campus Bookstore, Student Services Center, administrative offices, Office of Admissions, the James Farmer Multicultural Center, Career Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the university’s Health Center.


Lee Hall, 2014

Lee Hall, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "Lee," February 23, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 57.
  2. Ibid., 215.
  3. Ibid., 887.