University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Alvey Hall category

Alvey was built in 1989, next to Goolrick Hall. Originally known as North Hall, the dormitory was officially named after Edward Alvey Jr, Dean of the Faculty from 1936 to 1971. With its opening in 1990, Alvey helped relieve overcrowding pressure which had been building in many of the other residence halls. It is identical to Arrington Hall, which was built in 1994.1 The 148-room dorm has a more modern style than some of the older residence halls and includes features such as air-conditioning. This garnered Alvey the title of “‘The Hilton of the campus'” in The Bullet at that time.2

Alvey Then Resized

Dean Edward Alvey in front of Alvey Hall, 1991
"Dean Edward Alvey in front of Alvey Hall," June 1991, UMW Archives, University of Mary Washington.

Alvey Now Resized

Alvey, 2014
Alexandria Parrish, “Alvey,” February 19 2014, Personal Collection of Alexandria Parrish. University of Mary Washington.


Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 375.
  2. University of Mary Washington, The Bullet, 1990, as quoted in Crawley, University of Mary Washington, 375.