University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the Administration category

Lee Hall opened in 1951 during the construction boom of President Simpson, and was named after Anne Hill Carter Lee, mother of Robert E. Lee. 1 Though most simply refer to the building as Lee Hall today, it held the name of Anne Carter Lee Hall, or just ACL,  for many years. It was constructed as mainly an administrative building, but also contained a ballroom and a pool, the latter of which was converted into a cafe during the 1970s.2 The terrace of Lee Hall was traditionally the site of the formal Junior Ring Dance and other celebrations. 3 In 2007, Lee Hall underwent major renovations, completely closing until 2009 when it reopened with the popular addition of a newly refurbished cafe, The Underground.  It is currently home to the Campus Bookstore, Student Services Center, administrative offices, Office of Admissions, the James Farmer Multicultural Center, Career Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the university’s Health Center.

 

Lee Hall, 2014

Lee Hall, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "Lee," February 23, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), page 57.
  2. Ibid., 215.
  3. Ibid., 887.

Construction on George Washington Hall (also known as GW Hall) began in 1938 and was completed the following year.1 The building was established to answer the need for classrooms and administrative space necessary to serve the growing student population. The building also contained an auditorium capable of seating 1,624 people and included a stage with dressing rooms located below. 2 In 1980, the auditorium was named Eileen Kramer Dodd Auditorium in honor of a former professor who retired after forty four years at the College.3 Located below the auditorium was a mirrored ballroom known as the “Hall of Mirrors” used for events and formal dances. The roof of George Washington Hall contained a roof garden used for special events but also as a recreational area for students to relax and eat. Today, GW is the home of administrative offices, including the office of the president. Neither the roof garden nor the Hall of Mirrors are present today, however, Dodd Auditorium is still a central part of student life. The auditorium holds formal events, performance art shows, and “Cheap Seats” a program that shows popular movies for students for only a dollar admission.

4lgLqKjH9j1UZtba2lkcpt0WVt_G5MNIvdNf1U2a7p78s94ZPQL754UlajtJjK_8TQ=w1165-h460

George Washington Hall, 2014
Meaghan Sullivan, "George Washington Hall," March 21, 2014, Personal collection of Meaghan Sullivan, University of Mary Washington

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008),43
  2. Ibid.
  3. Ibid.,44.
css.php