University of Mary Washington Then & Now

A Photography Exhibition

Posts in the category

Emil Schnellock, a prominent artist who is featured in the “then” photo below, “came to Mary Washington in 1938 to teach art;” 1  Although an excellent professor, Schnellock’s greatest contribution to the College was the murals he and his students painted in Monroe and George Washington Halls in the 1940s. 2

Today, the Schnellock paintings are still visible in Monroe Hall and are enjoyed on a daily basis by students, faculty, and visitors.

Students Chatting in Front of the Murals in Monroe Hall, 2014 From left to right: Julia Wood, Laura-Michal Balderson, Leah Tams Carly Winfield, "Students Chatting in Monroe Hall," April 3, 2014, Personal Collection of Carly Winfield, University of Mary Washington.

Students Chatting in Front of the Murals in Monroe Hall, 2014
From left to right: Julia Wood, Laura-Michal Balderson, Leah Tams
Carly Winfield, "Students Chatting in Monroe Hall," April 3, 2014, Personal Collection of Carly Winfield, University of Mary Washington.

Show 2 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 44.
  2. Ibid., 44.

Until the 1970s, Mary Washington had no mascot, “so when the choice of a mascot was put before the student body in 1978, Blue Tide was the winner” 1 because the swim team had used the phrase for several years. However, “in 1981, the president of the Student Association, Leath Burdeshaw, called for a change, noting that ‘many feel that the College still needs a more concrete mascot–an animal or character that can literally be at the games and put on posters and banners to help spice things up.'” 2  During the 1985-86 academic year, the student body and faculty were presented the options for the MWC mascot: the Devil-Goats, the Eagles, the Militia, the Bayonets, and the Cannons.  “The results of the poll indicated preferences for the mascot name of Eagles.” 3

Today, the University is still represented by the Eagles; however, today the UMW Eagle has a name: Sammy D. Eagle.

Students with Sammy D. Eagle, 2013 Photo courtesy of Katie Koth

UMW students with Sammy D. Eagle, 2013
Katie Koth, September 22, 2013, Mobile Uploads, Personal Collection of Katie Koth, University of Mary Washington.

Show 3 footnotes

  1. William B. Crawley, Jr., University of Mary Washington: A Centennial History, 1908-2008 (Fredericksburg: University of Mary Washington Foundation, 2008), 358
  2. Ibid., 359.
  3. Ibid., 360-361.

Originally a bridge, “The Link” was constructed in 2012 as a connecting building between Randolph Hall and Mason Hall.  It serves as a meeting and study space for students at UMW.

The bridge between Randolph and Mason, no date H. Bagby, "Bridge between Randolph and Mason Halls," H. Bagby Collection, Simpson Library Special Collections, University of Mary Washington

The Bridge Between Randolph and Mason, n.d.
H. Bagby, "Bridge between Randolph and Mason Halls," H. Bagby Collection, Simpson Library Special Collections, University of Mary Washington.

The Link, 2014 Jessica Reingold, "The Link," February 19, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

The Link, 2014
Jessica Reingold, "The Link," February 19, 2014, Personal Collection of Jessica Reingold, University of Mary Washington.

 

css.php